Join Us in the Fight Against Coronavirus
COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund
You can be a part of UC San Diego’s response to COVID-19 and help us address the most pressing needs as they emerge.
UC San Diego is taking every measure to mitigate the risks of COVID-19 to our community, and our infectious disease experts are playing an important role in the COVID-19 response. The UC San Diego COVID-19 Response Discretionary Fund has been created to support our students, patients, caregivers, and community at this unprecedented moment for our university and the world. This fund will allow us to address the greatest needs in this evolving situation and research efforts to better understand and respond to COVID-19.
These are just some of the ways UC San Diego is taking on COVID-19:
Expanding clinical testing
- In collaboration with corporate partners, deploy, and validate newly developed clinical tests
- Develop new COVID-19 tests to provide low-cost, rapid results (<1 hour)
- Develop home testing kits for COVID-19
Developing new therapies for treatment and vaccine
- Identify and test new drugs, by drawing on the wide array of drug discovery pipelines and our clinical testing capabilities to develop new drugs to improve the outcome of infected patients and health care workers
- Develop monoclonal antibody therapies and vaccines, by drawing upon our expertise in immunology
Understanding the COVID-19 virus
- Study the viral replication cycle and the role played by genetic variation in disease progression and transmission from animals to humans, by drawing upon our expertise in virology and genetics, to better understand this family of dangerous viruses and prepare for the next variant with pandemic potential
- Understand the role the immune system plays in disease progression, and the mechanisms by which pre-existing conditions increase the probability of infection and/or severe disease
Improving environmental and community health
- Study COVID-19 exposure and transmission, using cutting edge technologies with high sensitivity, to better understand exposure pathways indoors, outdoors, on surfaces, water, air, and animals.
- Deploy molecular epidemiological approaches to track the spread of the disease, incorporating new COVID-19 diagnostics into existing cohort studies as well as launching new studies
This is a moment where individual actions can have as much impact as institutional efforts. Please consider making a gift of any size today—you have the power to help us protect the lives of everyone impacted by COVID-19.
Thank you for all you do on behalf of UC San Diego—we greatly value each and every one of you.
Student Support and Success Fund
Join our effort to ensure all students impacted by COVID-19 have their basic needs met and feel supported by and connected to their community.
As UC San Diego addresses the impact of COVID-19 on our community, the safety and well-being of our students is a top priority. During this time of disruption and uncertainty, we are even more aware of students’ dependence on us for so much more than their academic work – many of them depend on us to provide basic needs and income from hourly jobs on our campus. When you give today to our Student Support and Success Fund, it will directly benefit students impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. Your contribution will help provide:
In any time of crisis, the UC San Diego community responds swiftly with compassion and generosity. With your support we can help protect the educational, financial, and wellness needs of our students. By giving today, you do more than provide essential resources – you provide students with a bond letting them know they are not alone.
Thank you for providing vital support to students in need. We deeply appreciate each and every one of you.